THE SOGIE BILL AND WHY IT MATTERS

Chances are you've heard of the SOGIE bill and if you haven't, let me explain them to you. SOGIE bill is an Act Prohibiting Discrimination on the Basis of Sexual Orientation or Gender Identity or Expression (SOGIE) and Providing Penalties Therefor, basically the bill will be passed to make sure that everybody not inside the spectrum of heterosexuality will be protected under the law. There's not much to tackle with the bill, it will give the LGBTQIA+ community the same laws that protects straight people, so it should not be that 'controversial'. But nope, here's an example:


The person who posted this is a friend, not just a work or school friend, but a best friend. She is one of the closest and bestest friend I have in that hellhole and yet she denies the existence of the SOGIE bill? Why? She says that Sections 4D and 4O will ruin families therefore it is not following God's will. Here is what Section 4D says:

Imposing disciplinary sanctions, penalties harsher than customary or similar punishments, requirements, restrictions or prohibitions that infringe on the rights of the students on the basis of sexual orientation or gender identity or expression, including discriminating against a student or trainee due to the sexual orientation or gender identity or expression of the student's parents or guardian.

Here is what Section 4O says:

Preventing a child under parental authority, custody, or guardianship from exhibiting or expressing one's sexual orientation or gender identity; or manifesting rejection of such child's sexual orientation or gender identity or expression by inflicting or threatening to inflict bodily or physical harm against the child or by causing mental or emotional suffering of the child through intimidation, harassment, public ridicule or humiliation, repeated verbal abuse, or other similar means, or in general, commit any act or omission prejudicial to the welfare and interest of the child as a result of the bias against the sexual orientation or gender identity of the child

Here is a copy of the SOGIE bill

To summarize, Section 4D says that you are not allowed to put penalties to students due to a guardian's sexual orientation and Section 4O says that you are not allowed to inflict unnecessary harm to your children due to their sexual identity. So, why is this subsection so controversial? Why? There's literally nothing here that should be controversial, if your parent is a person with disability and you are discriminated because of their problem, should that be allowed? No! If you're Buddhist and your mother is Christian and she strangled you because you don't follow the same faith, is that morally right? No! So, I don't understand why this law is that controversial. Everyone that finds a reason for it to be controversial are just homophobic, and just doesn't want to admit it.

Also, other people say that under the Bill of Rights already protects those people, so there's no need for the bill. Um, no! The SOGIE bill protects those that are being discriminated, the Bill of Rights are not saying that. So, shut the fuck up.

This is a lot for me to take, but I'll just leave this here: The law doesn't use the Bible as the basis of the Constitution and under Article II in Section 6 of the 1987 Constitution that The separation of Church and State shall be inviolable, so I don't see why we need to follow to your beliefs just to satisfy you.


WHY IT MATTERS

When I was in kindergarten and elementary school everyone thinks its a good idea to call me 'bakla', 'bading' or 'shemale' (Tagalog words for gay), and although it's not true, there was no use for me to fight back. I hated my kindergarten and elementary days, every day I would be ostracized something that I'm not and I didn't know how to fight back. Sometimes, even teachers would get involved! Once, a teacher of mine told me to scream 'Darna', if I want a good grade in her class. I didn't do it, because at that time it was not just a simple joke, it was bullying and a teacher is doing it! I ended up having a grade of 75 in her class although I didn't fucking care since it was just Art and it'll barely affect my average as one of the Top 10 back then.

There was also another incident in 3rd grade and a high schooler teased me that I'm a fat 'Dyesebel'. This man was at least 7-8 years older than me. I don't know why he was doing it, but I wasn't the only victim. He was teasing my brother as well; my brother who was 8-9 years younger than him punched him in the face and the high schooler retaliated.

There are a lot of times, these are not just sole incidents. These kinds of teasing didn't stop until 8th grade and I was pretty traumatized by it back then. I can list down all the names of those who ostracized, bullied, and teased me for being gay.

So, imagine this: I am not gay, how much more would the gay people be mocked for they are? I am being discriminated and I'm not even gay, so how much more would people be discriminate actual gay people. I don't see why people don't get this. The Sogie Bill's plans are to get rid of the discrimination every where. It has no plans to break up family, in my personal opinion it'll actually fix families every where. So, to the people who are saying that the Sogie Bill is just a pave to gay sex marriage or making gay people have more power, have you ever woke up and not want to go to school because of some "names"?

This is what I want people to realize. I know my "friend" is reading this. I can never make you give up your faith, as do I, but at least respect the LGBTQIA+ community because I can assure you they've been through hell.

I made a Facebook page, make sure you like it!!!



This is my HubPage, make sure to support my HubPage account as well. It's a writing platform and instead of writing personal anecdotes like the ones I show in my blog, my HubPage will be more on K-Pop content and what I think of them. So, to those who follow me for my K-Pop tips and tricks, make sure to follow my HubPage. 



Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

THE FLAW OF WILDFLOWER (FILIPINO TV SHOW)

WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF I DIDN'T CHANGE SCHOOLS?