10 KPOP SONGS OF THIS CENTURY

This is a complete list of the songs that created the Korean Wave today, though some may not be that internationally known, this songs paved the way of K-Pop, some did unbelievable feats, and some became a trend in South Korea or worldwide. 

The songs in the list are all made by me, I didn't use charts, polls, or other websites to create this list.


10. Sorry, Sorry by Super Junior

Sorry, Sorry is a song performed by Super Junior in March 2009. This song was able to reach number one in all of South Korea's music charts and as well as Mainland China's. Sorry, Sorry is a song written for a girl whose beauty always captivates guys.

I first heard Sorry, Sorry here in my country probably when I was in 4th grade, my classmates always makes parody with the songs tune to insult one another. Since, this is one of the songs that I heard before K-Pop was so mainstream, and how many K-Pop groups are always dancing/singing to this, and how it also launched the Korean Wave, I can say that Sorry, Sorry is one of the 10 K-Pop songs of this century.


9. I Got A Boy by Girls' Generation

I Got A Boy is a song released by Girls' Generation on January 2013. This song was able to sell 1.3 million digital copies worldwide, and the music video was able to win Video of the Year Award at the first Youtube Music Awards.

This song along with Gangnam Style paved the way for the current Korean wave. I first heard of the song in February 2013, when my friend shared it to me. I was already aware of Girls' Generation's presence after I heard Gee, but it was Run Devil Run that made me listen to K-Pop. After this song's release, many people acclaimed it to be one of the best K-Pop songs out there, so it's not shocking that this song made it to the list.


8. Abracadabra by Brown Eyed Girls 

Abracabra is a song released by Brown Eyed Girls on July 2009. This song had a 3-week chart topping run on music portals.

Does it seem bizarre that these girls had a higher position than Sorry, Sorry and I Got A Boy? I am terribly sorry for that. The reason why Abracadabra was able to aim a higher position than the other two songs, is because when I speak with my Korean friends they told me that the song had a huge impact and the song was basically warming up the Korean Wave at that time. Also, the song's dance was able to inspire PSY's dance in Gentleman, so there's no shock this song is influential.


7. Blood, Sweat, and Tears by BTS

Blood, Sweat, and Tears is a song released by BTS on October 2016. This song plus the music video became the most viewed K-Pop song in 24 hours, fastest video to hit 10 million views, and the fastest boy group to hit 20 million views. This song is BTS' first No.1 in South Korea's chart.

The music video is amazing, all the dance scenes and all those drama scenes got me captivated. Not to mention, this song became No.1 in SK, and even destroyed multiple records in just a month. This song definitely belongs in the 10 K-Pop songs of the century.


6. Up and Down by EXID

Up and Down is a song performed by EXID. The song reached No.1 in South Korea, and No.1 in Billboard's World Chart, despite not making it in either chart when it was initially released. The song was EXID's first million sale, and the only song in 2010s that was able to perform a chart reversal.

I am not bias just because I am a leggo, if I was a bias this song would be No.1 in this list. The reason why Up and Down defeated the other four in this list is because this song was already a flop but became an international and domestic success. This song deserved the spot in this list, it was even able to revive EXID's non-existent career, so it should not be a surprise this song got a really high position in this list.


5. Nobody by Wonder Girls

Nobody is a song performed by Wonder Girls on September 2008. It was at the time the most viewed K-Pop music video until it was surpassed by Girls' Generation's "Gee"; the live performance was also the first K-Pop music video to reach 50 million views in Youtube.

I remember this song always played by my younger cousin. He played this song all day and all night that I had a breaking point and decided to switch off the fuse box, in layman's terms, this song was really popular.


4. I am the best by 2ne1

I am the best is a song performed by 2ne1 on June 2011, it was able to top South Korea's charts and US' World Digital Songs. It was the first K-Pop song included in the Dance Central series, and was the eight K-Pop group to reach 100 million views. The song was also used by Microsoft for its commercial.

I am the best is one of the songs you never got tired hearing of. The song was really popular here in my country, but the the fact that Emma Stone promoted this song on Canon and they were invited in America to perform it.


3. Gee by Girls' Generation

Gee is a song performed by Girls' Generation on January 2009. They were able to propel themselves to fame after the song hit No.1 in South Korea and Japan. This is the song that made them able to dominate Asia with. It was also the first girl group music video to reach 100 million views in Youtube.

I cannot stress enough how Gee was the epitome of the Korean wave. This song was enable to climb the charts even when promotions ended, and the song was able to reach 150 million views, the first for every K-Pop girl group in Youtube. This song is the start of the Korean wave. 


2. Fantastic Baby by Big Bang

Fantastic Baby reached No.1 in South Korea, No.8 in Japan, and No.3 in the US. The music video is the fourth K-Pop music video to reach 100 million views, the first for any boy group. The music video is also the first K-Pop group to reach 200 million views.

The impact it had in Asia and America is absurd. There are no words to explain how this song dominated the whole world. 


1. Gangnam Style by PSY

The song was able to chart in almost all music charts in the whole world, it was No.2 in Billboard's Hot 100, No.1 in South Korea, No. 20 in Japan, No.1 in UK, and etc. It is the first music video to reach 1 billion views, as well as the first music video to reach 2 billion views.

Unless you are living under a rock, you probably know Gangnam Style. If there are no words on how Fantastic Baby almost dominated the whole world, then there's not a sound on how Gangnam Style almost dominated every corner of the globe.


[edit 10/12/17:I just created a Facebook page, make sure you like it!!!]


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

THE FLAW OF WILDFLOWER (FILIPINO TV SHOW)

WHAT WOULD HAVE HAPPENED IF I DIDN'T CHANGE SCHOOLS?

THE SOGIE BILL AND WHY IT MATTERS